Windows Defender is a built-in antivirus software for Windows 10 that provides protection against various types of malware. However, sometimes users may encounter issues with Windows Defender, such as the message "every defending thing has been turned off," and it refuses to turn back on. In this article, we will provide you with some information on how to fix this issue.
Facts from the question
- The question is about how to fix the issue of Windows Defender turning off and refusing to turn back on.
- The user may have encountered an unexpected error when trying to restart Windows Defender.
- Windows Defender is a free built-in antivirus for Windows OS.
Steps to solve the issue
Here are some steps to solve the issue of Windows Defender turning off and refusing to turn back on:
- Update Windows Defender: Make sure that Windows Defender is up to date with the latest virus definitions and software updates.
- Run a full system scan: Run a full system scan with Windows Defender to detect and remove any malware.
- Check for conflicting antivirus software: Conflicting antivirus software can cause issues with Windows Defender. Make sure that you have only one antivirus software installed on your computer.
- Check for malware: Malware can cause issues with the system files and drivers. Try running a malware scan on your computer using your antivirus software.
- Use the Windows Security app: Use the Windows Security app to check the status of Windows Defender and turn it on if it is turned off.
Related questions and their answers
How to uninstall Windows Defender?
Windows Defender is a built-in antivirus software for Windows 10 and cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable Windows Defender temporarily or permanently.
How to disable Windows Defender?
Here are some steps to disable Windows Defender:
- Open Windows Security.
- Click on "Virus & threat protection."
- Click on "Manage settings."
- Turn off "Real-time protection."
Windows Defender turning off and refusing to turn back on can be a frustrating issue to deal with, but the steps provided in this article can help you troubleshoot and fix the issue. If you encounter any other issues related to Windows Defender, you can refer to the related questions and their answers for further assistance.